Sunday, October 4, 2009

Open windows

This was a productive weekend. For one, it was both Jessie's and David's birthdays. Good kids. Such good kids. We got to share a meal as a family - a rare occasion - and LUNCH no less.
Jessica is 14. She is gorgeous. Her brain is rolling constantly. Always looking around for the next project, the next creation, the next gift. She and I together can accomplish so much in an afternoon. She is a great friend and a thoughtful sister. Jessie loves school and orange and drawing and music and being with her family.
David is 7. He continues to make us laugh and shake our heads with amazement. He is physical. Everything about this boy is physical. He isn't a tough guy, just physical. He has so many good friends on our street that we are all jealous. He loves sleep and riding bikes and playing games with his family and swimming and soccer games and anything that has to do with his dad.
Both of these birth days fell during conference of course. I remember watching conference with a brand new baby all wrapped up and sleeping in a cozy bundle. Those bundles are exploding all over the place now. I love it. But it ends up being a very festive weekend for us every year. The weather played things perfectly this weekend. Fall-like and stormy and on the chilly side. I got to wear a sweater and sandals for the first time. I leave the windows open in the house so that everyone's cold and we have to bundle up again and drink hot chocolate. It's cheating maybe, but it's worth it.

I love that the leaves on the vines on the side of the house are growing over the window. I wonder if next year they will cover it completely.

I'm learning so much from conference. I'm astounded that this blessing is mine.
Rich drove up from Monticello to be with us today. 5 hours home and 5 hours back. Just so he can sit with us for a few hours. I'm grateful. Today will bring more enlightened instruction and love unfeigned. It will bring baking all of that familiar food that makes me feel so safe. I will get to sit by Rich for hours. Heaven at home.

"The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp."

No comments:

Post a Comment