Monday, October 12, 2009

Singin In The Rain

I almost didn't direct my most favorite show to date in my short directing career. I'm sure if I thought longer I could phrase that more elegantly. After directing Beauty and The Beast in 2008, I decided the family needed a break. Not because of Beauty and The Beast in particular, but just because of the time involved and various other needs. I told our new principal that I wouldn't be directing the following year, but I would help him find someone to do it if he would like. I went to Nauvoo (2008) thinking I wasn't doing a show and that put me at ease daily. We decided to be in Savior of the World that fall with Rich and the three older kids and I didn't think I was doing a show, and that put me at ease hourly. In January, the director we found was putting auditions together and I was helping with logistics and I was at ease. And then she had to quit. And I was for the first time in 9 months - not at ease. But it was important that I step up and do it, and somehow I knew that. I also knew I needed to change the show that had been planned, but I didn't know what to do instead. It came to me in a lightening bolt moment while I was taking a bath. And then people came pouring in to my rescue. Kathryn McCann choreographed, along with JD Stokes and Marilyn Montgomery. (Who knew she would say "YES!") Robyn Mortensen was at my beck and call to solve various problems that arose. Becky Hanks agreed to be the costumer (a HUGE task) and Matt Dickamore helped me come up with a design scheme that helped me sleep nights. Rich of course was my set builder. My dad was the brilliant film maker. And I got to work with probably the most talented group of students I will see in 10 years. At least. We did nothing else during the months of Feb, Mar and April. But we made movies, and we made it rain on stage. Douglas, Jessie and I worked on it all through spring break while Rich was out of town. We came up with an adequate system. He came back and in about 20 minutes had a system going far superior to ours - of course. But I'd like to think that D and J and I are the closer for it. These kids danced and danced and danced. And we got each of them an umbrella and these wonderful parents came and put dots on all of them for the final number. Need one? I'm sure that in 3009 we'll still have a stash somewhere. Jenny's Emma got to be in it and she was star struck I think. Becky made french dresses out of milk jugs and we bought tap shoes for the leads and they tapped and tapped. We had a gorgeous yellow umbrella and torn tux shirts and a THOUSAND colored shirts. We danced on desks and on stairs and hung windows in midair. Diane painted a sunset. There was a cake with a girl inside, and talking pictures. This was a show that had flavor. There was (is) a pink piano. And maybe more than one flavor. Maybe more than 10. There were afternoons that I drove home and just sobbed because I was so overwhelmed or felt like my efforts were for naught. But in the end, I was grateful that it had all happened. And I was grateful it happened the way it did. It was important that I not worry over it all summer, fall and Christmas. It was a mountain. And we stood on the top. I wonder now in what ways I am different or better off.... Is it the kids that are different or better off..... ??? Now, almost 6 months later, what are we left with? Memories and photos? What do they mean exactly? It's passed. Shows disappear. Other fine art can be hung on a wall, played on a stereo, shown again and again on the silver screen. Theater evaporates. It can't be claimed. I love that.

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." - Yeats

No comments:

Post a Comment