Sunday, October 11, 2009

Glorious leaves.


This morning I found myself telling my girls that I would take them for a drive to see the leaves in the canyon, for if we didn't go today, we would surely miss the glory. I was a little surprised to hear the words coming from my mouth because to be honest, the house is at a new low as far as steady chaos goes, and we were only a few hours from church starting, and well - I just didn't think carefully about it - and yet, I heard the promise coming out of my mouth and into their hopeful ears. The girls scrambled to get ready for church and to help David (Douglas had a commitment and had already left). We drove up Emigration Canyon and then left at the stop sign to take us to East Canyon, through Morgan and Weber Canyon and home again. It took about 2 hours. We listened to music in the car and talked about the gorgeousness we saw around us. We remembered going to the zoo on different occasions and wondered what it was like for an elephant to live in a cage, and I told them about Ruth's Diner and how if they wanted to really make me happy when I was old, they could take me there for every breakfast the year I'm 90. We saw I-80 from a distance and all three of them wondered how the week would be different if we just kept driving and ended up in Nauvoo. What does it look like there in the fall? There was plenty of roadkill to gawk at and even a few brave squirrels who wanted to cross in front of us. East Canyon brought talk of fishermen and Bear Lake and remembrances of fun times on the lake. The girls debated the pros and cons of living in Morgan as opposed to Bountiful, and we remembered relaxing at camp outs in Zarahemla. We talked about the many soccer games played in Eden and Mt. Green, and how every time we drive by with dad he reminds us that he wants to live there someday. We squeaked into church just as it was starting and we felt like we were prepared to sit and be grateful for the glory of our lives and the glory of the leaves.
"Though a tree grow ever so high, the falling leaves return to the ground" - Mayalan Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment