Tuesday, August 2, 2011

To Percolate.

I've spent the summer in Nauvoo and spent the morning reading things online that I've missed over the last few weeks. It's an interesting balancing act,and it is important. It makes the muscles stronger.
I'm grateful that I have more than one restarting point on the calendar each year. Of course there is January 1st - the solar calendar starts over and perhaps more importantly an extended holiday from school finishes and it feels right to evaluate and reset a few things. Then there is the end of the school year and plans are made for a productive and happy summer - which will in theory launch me into a wonderful school year and if I follow those plans precisely I shouldn't have a need to reset on Jan 1st. But I do. Every year. I think I'm ready to just be grateful for restarts and not beat myself over the need of them. I feel one coming on. Home from Nauvoo. More remodeling done there, new thoughts, extra gratitude, older children, no humidity.
Do you know what can be accomplished when there is no humidity? The possibilities are endless.
Here are some indicators of how I might spend my time today:
7 large stacks of laundry in my bedroom, the laundry room and 3 in the hall at the end of the stairs.
4 piles of papers that I tucked away into the deep recesses of the desk before our English friends arrived at the house last night. Yes, to be sure - our home is uncluttered in all the right ways.
3 calls I received already this morning about the impending loss of services if bills aren't paid. Cell, electric and TV. Listed there in order of priority.
126 emails to be returned in my inbox.
A kitchen forsaken of food.
12 extra pounds on my hips after a summer of negligent eating. Negligent. Utterly negligent.
1 text from my mother wondering if I've landed in Utah yet.
Oh yeah - and that building a few blocks away where I earn a living. I can hear the halls gently calling my name. Soon it will be a panicked scream.
1,427,489 weeds that grew since June 20th.

Before I'm off to the tasks at hand, a few things I learned this summer:
In order to change, its helpful to feel loved.
My children have become my most beloved social circle.
It's hard to underestimate our desire to be helpful/important/needed. I'd like to sort those out.
I have a profound wish to study the scriptures more thoroughly.
Although always a respected skill, listening has become my new pursuit. This is something I'd like to apply particularly to prayer.
We don't feel the testimony of others. We feel our own.
Now... to percolate. To allow thoughts, desires, wishes, pursuits and feelings find a physical manifestation and become who I am.
Oh boy........ I feel Jan 1st approaching ever so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment